Thursday, July 30, 2009

Not Your Mama's Minivan

When I was growing up, my best friend Andrea and I had big plans for our futures that included neighboring ranches in Montana, lots of children, soccer coaching, careers in singing (her) and cooking (me), and great big Suburbans... NOT minivans.

Well, so far the ranch thing hasn't happened, or the Montana thing, or the career thing, but we do have kids and need to transport them somehow. Sooo, on Monday, after months and months of contemplation, including sleepless nights and lots of research, and perhaps even a bit of guilt over letting go of my childhood dreams, I purchased my first minivan.

And now that I've been driving one for a whole 4 days, I'm not really sure why minivans have such a bad name. Yes, they're the quintessential mom car, but hey- I'm a mom! Basically, at least until my children are big enough to climb in and buckle (and unbuckle) themselves from regular seatbelts- NOT carseats, I am happily resigned to drive a super cool Toyota Sienna minivan.

In case you're not convinced that minivans are really super duper cool, let me just say, that they don't make 'em like they used to (in a good way!). No longer is there just the Chevy Astro with chewed up back seats (long story), or the Toyota Previa that resembled a spaceship. Minivans these days are all sporty looking with power doors and adjustable seating options and cargo space and rear a/c and lots of cup holders and storage compartments and passenger windows that roll down and, well, I could go on and on.... but I won't. All I ask is that you please don't mock me when you see me driving by, or I might not offer to pick your kid up for soccer practice!




(Since the ranch thing isn't gonna happen...when my kids are all grown up and I start highlighting my hair, carrying a Louie Vuitton bag, sporting Chanel sunglasses, and wearing Juicy Couture velour tracksuits, THIS is what I want to drive... hey, a girl's gotta dream!)



3 comments:

Carly said...

i drive a sienna too! i couldn't care less about hwo cool my car is, but jon is a car guy and he does care... but we both love our van! i have told him a million times how comfortable it is and how much i love the room i have in there for the kids to walk around - especially when i would have to stop randomly and nurse cameron or change a diaper while running errands. there's a reason that its the classic mom car - its perfect for us :) ain't no shame in it.

Mama G said...

thanks for the boost of confidence carly! i love it so far and actually, don't miss my 4runner at all. and when we're driving people around with us, they aren't complaining about not having to be stuck in the back seat between two carseats anymore!

Natalie said...

I had similar aspirations, Julie. I'm sure I'll be joining the mini-van ranks soon enough. Oh how my words are so often coming back to bite me, especially now that I'm a mom!