Friday, September 25, 2009

Has it been 10 years already?

Last summer I went with Dylan to his 10 year high school reunion. Prior to going, I scoffed at the idea of actually wanting to see people from high school again. But afterwards, I decided that it wasn't too bad (even considering that I didn't go to his highschool) and that I was going to make sure that my alma mater- Concord High School- had an awesome reunion. It was going to cost less, have better food and be at a way cooler location.

So, thanks to Facebook, I got in touch with a few people from our senior leadership class and we started planning... in February. Our plans started out fine. We got in contact with hundreds of our former classmates, polled people about what type of event they wanted and picked a date. We settled on dinner and drinks at Pyramid Brewery, chose a DJ that was going to provide background music-NOT loud party/dancing music, and sent out an evite to 300 people.

Then the drama started. Who knew that 10 years after highschool people could still be SOOOOO dramatic. Some examples of emails and conversations that I had:

"I didn't get the evite so I think that you didn't invite me on purpose and so I'm not coming and I'm telling everyone else that I know not to come." "I don't like that restaurant so I'm not coming and I'm going to a bar across the street with my friends." Or my favorite, "I know that I'm helping plan the reunion, but I never bought my plane ticket so I'm not going to be able to make it."

Sheesh. Just get over yourselves and come already!

Two weeks before the reunion, we almost had to cancel because not enough people had signed up and paid. We finally got just enough people to break even (50!) when people started cancelling and asking for their money back. Um, no, the money has been spent.

Finally, after 9 months of planning (the amount of time it takes to plan a wedding or for a fetus to fully develop in it's mother's womb) the Concord High School Class of '99 had our reunion.

It turned out great.

Lots of extra people showed up (and didn't pay, but whatever, there was plenty of food).

People actually had a good time.

I got to see some friends who I hadn't seen in 10 years.

I talked with lots of people who I've never talked with before in my life (like I had to look up their pics in the yearbook to figure out who they were).

The DJ played music that was WAAAAAYYY to loud but, oh well, my hearing was back to normal by the next day.

I didn't go into early labor (yes, this was a concern of mine after all of the stress and drama).

And I officially resigned from ever planning another reunion ever again.

Of course, since I was so busy socializing (more like yelling at people over the music), I didn't take many pics. And the pics I did take are of people that you don't know so they won't be very exciting for you.... so I'll include the two that I have that include myself (the GIANT pregnant lady in the green dress). If you want to see more, there are some on facebook....

Keri and Me, with awkward expressions (thanks Dylan)... she is the ONLY person from my class that I've actually kept in contact with consistently since highschool!

Me and some seriously skinny and short people- hey, maybe it's just the angle of the camera, but I look like a giant!




No comments: