Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"No Pain, No Gain," right?

Since business has been slow, Dylan decided that we should send out advertisements for DMG Engineering, Inc. We've done this before, but never to this extent. We designed a new logo and new business cards, and spent days copying addresses out of the local yellow pages. This is how I currently feel about the endeavor:

My fingers are dry and cracked from folding and pressing so many papers.
My hands and tongue are covered with tiny little slices from stuffing and licking so many envelopes.
My back and neck are stiff from sitting at the computer looking up hundreds of zipcodes.
I broke the child labor laws and had Emma affixing stamps onto the corners of envelopes for hours.

But finally, as of this afternoon, close to 300 letters telling about DMG Engineering, Inc. will be sent to local architects, contractors, engineers and surveyors. Enclosed with the letters are our new business cards with our new logo: (Pretty sweet, huh!) So what do I, the secretary of this fine corporation, get for all of my pain?

For every phone call that one of these mailers generates, I get a coffee drink from Peets. (I've recently been cut off since our economy is in such a slump and work has slowed down)

For every job that one of these mailers generates, I get a $20 gift card to wherever my husband chooses (a few ideas for him: Panera Bread, Peets, Target, Gap, Chipotle, CostPlus, Marshalls, TJMaxx)

So no, I won't be getting rich from my job, but at least I will get to escape our budget for a few blissful moments!

Let's hope that this initial batch of letters gets some good responses or else I'll be working through the phone books for the other regions in the Bay Area- I think there are 3 or 4 more!

And thanks to my mom for that phone book class she taught in home school all those years ago! :)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Julie, I love your blog, you are such a creative writer and your kids are adorable! Fun to see them growing up! I am glad you visited the recipe blog, I try my best to keep posting more yummy delights, so keep checking back in! :) Andrea

Holls said...

julie, i read a lot of blogs, but i really, really enjoy yours...its really truly like i can hear your voice literally through your words. nice work on the gift cards... great idea. i be prayin you guys get some new work a flowin....

Oleole Family said...

Julie, hey this is Liz Muhlestein (oleole). I found you on Deanna's blog. How are you? You have such cute kids. My profile is set to private, but I would like to invite you to it. My email is superloops24@hotmail. You can send your email to me and I'll invite you. By the way you look great.

Mama G said...

just a quick update: as of yesterday (the day after the mailers were sent out) I have already earned 4 lattes!

Carly said...

oooooooh nice work! 4 lattes already? excellent. keep us posted on how the work comes in and delicious those peet's coffee beverages are!