Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas Eve Spectacular

As is tradition, we spend Christmas Eve with Julie's family...


We open a few gifts...

eat a LOT of food...

and have our annual poetry competition.
My Grandpa Vern writes cowboy poetry and has been reciting original pieces at every family event for decades. No, this is not a competition that an English major would be proud of; his poetry doesn't contain much meaning, rhythm, or meter and every line rhymes- kind of. But, we've been laughing along with Grandpa's poems for so long, that the cousins decided that we should write our own poetry and have a yearly competition on Christmas Eve. The winner gets to take a plaque with Grandpa's picture home with them for the year.

Like any good competition, we trash talk each other throughout the year and attempt to intimidate our competition at all costs. Last year, my brother Joel won from sheer shock value when he told us his wife was pregnant- and then said "just kidding." This year, although I totally should have won and the judges obviously did a terrible job (ahem, Dylan), my cousin Eric won. BOOOOOOO. Perhaps I'll have some video to upload in the future but my loss has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I can hardly stand to even think about poetry anymore! ;)


No comments: