Friday, June 11, 2010

Me vs. Coffeemate

It's summertime and you know what that means....

lazy schedules
swim lessons
fresh garden grown produce
amazing weather
lots of vacations
and
iced coffee drinks.

I mean, with 3 kids, there really isn't anything else (except for God's grace) that will help me through the loooooong, hot summer days with my sanity [relatively] intact.

I used to only indulge in iced coffee drinks when my husband would so kindly pick me up one on his way home from work.

Then my sister taught me how to make them at home with chilled coffee, milk, ice, and coffeemate creamer. These were good...... except for the coffeemate creamer part. That stuff is nasty, artificial and it leaves a strange film on the inside of my mouth.

So last week I set out to figure out how to make homemade coffee creamer with real, honest, no-nasty aftertaste ingredients.

Well, it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be and it is easily adaptable to any specific needs. Like, if you don't like real sugar, you could use agave nectar. Or if you don't like vanilla, you could use whatever flavoring suits you. And, obviously, any kind of milk would work here as well, the more fat content, the creamier, but I just used 1% and it tasted delish.

So far this week I've stirred it into hot coffee, iced coffee and hot tea and I haven't been disappointed yet! So, here's my unexact recipe. Go try it out and give me some feedback on if it worked for you or not!


Creamer
1. Put milk in a saucepan (3 c ? or more)
2. Add sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
3. Turn on heat and simmer (don't boil or the milk will get that nasty skin on top) for like 20 minutes or so, stirring every once in awhile. You want the liquid to reduce out a bit and the sugar to dissolve.
4. Add vanilla extract (at least a teaspoon)
5. Cook that for another minute and then turn off the heat.
6. Cool completely. Store in the fridge.

Iced Coffee
1. pour chilled coffee into a cup, about half way up
2. add a splash (or more) of your creamer. it isn't as potent as coffeemate so you may need a little more than you would normally.
3. toss in a few ice cubes
4. top it off with milk.
5. Stir and enjoy, and make it through the rest of your day with a smile on your face :)


1 comment:

nicole aka gidget said...

I'm definitely trying this. I've tried coming up with my own recipe but always ended up not quite right. I think I just finally weaned myself of creamer (pretty content with honey and half-n-half) but mmmm, an iced coffee with that yummy vanilla just sounds so summery.