Monday, October 12, 2009

My Favorite Things: Bissell Steam Mop

I know that you've been waiting with baited breath to see what other product received my coveted endorsement. Well wait no more. Here it is....The Bissell Steam Mop!

First let me explain some things about myself:
1. I HATE mopping. It's dirty, gross, hard work with results that are never very satisfactory.
2. I have a dog with mental problems who salivates a lot.
3. I have a toddler who likes to spill food, drink- whatever he can get his hands on.
4. I don't mind vacuuming but our house has mostly hardwood floors.
5. My cousin Bryana deserves a medal for introducing me to this product.


Okay, so back to the Bissell Steam Mop. This thing is great!
1. With as much effort as pushing a vacuum around, you can clean and sanitize your floors.
2. It only uses water so you don't have any soapy or chemical residue.
3. It has washable microfiber scrubbing pads so when you're done mopping, you just throw them in the washer and re-use them to your heart's content.
4. It's small and compact-smaller than a vacuum- and very lightweight.
5. It's super quiet so you can mop right outside of your kids' bedrooms while they're napping and it won't disturb them.
6. The steam dries quickly (unlike soapy mop water) so you don't have to wait for long before you can walk around on your floors again.

How it works:
1. Fill up a container on the back of the mop with tap water.
2. Attach a reusable mop pad.
3. Plug in the mop.
4. Within a few minutes, a red light turns on indicating that it is hot and ready to go.
5. Press the steam button as you push the mop around your floors. If you have a particularly gunky spot, hold the steam down on top of the spot for a few seconds and watch it disappear.
6. Be amazed at how easy it was and how clean your floors are.

Some not-quite-perfect things about the mop:
1. Like any mop, you have to clear your floor of debris first or you'll just end up pushing it around.
2. The cord isn't super long so you'll have to unplug and replug it in as you move around the room.
3. You won't get a streak free shine- but your floors will be clean and sanitized. (Maybe since my floors are old and gross to begin with they just won't shine no matter what)

Seriously folks, this product is great and it is definitely worth a try if you have a lot of hard surface floors in your house. If you live nearby, I'll happily loan you mine for a day or two so that you can try it out! Or if you do get one, let me know what you think!



3 comments:

Bryana P said...

I bought a 20 or 25 foot extension cord of my very own -- Billy does NOT get to use it for any kind of man work -- and I use it with my steam mop and my vaccuums. If I plug it in in the center of my hallway I can do my whole house without unplugging. In your house you'll probably have to replug once.

Christian and Christen said...

so does it have to be plugged in the whole time you are using it guys? I mop at least 3/day right now as my puppy is learning to use a litter box (no yard in my all tile apartment). I feel like i ring out mops and sudsy water more than I sleep right now. (I know, exaggeration). So if its not that hard, I could use a converter and have the only bissell steam mop in Peru!! WOndering if it works after you unplug though?

Mama G said...

hey christen. yes, you do have to keep it plugged in the whole time or the steam won't work.
i think it would be pretty awesome if you had one in peru!